Pork is the meat in China. The words ‘pork’ and ‘meat’ share the same Mandarin symbol. It is said good Chinese cooks know 100 recipes for pork. Our recipe of the day is Chinese Crispy Pork Belly recipe. Now, if you are non-Chinese, you’re gonna rock pork belly, because it’s like a luscious slab of bacon.
Where pork belly is a big hunk of fatty, non-cured, non-smoked pork; bacon is cured with salt, smoked and cut into frying-sized slices.
What Puts the Crispy in Crackling Pork Belly?
If you’ve ever eaten pork rinds or cracklins’, you’ll have some idea of its texture and taste. But, until you’ve eaten crispy pork belly fresh from the oven, you can’t imagine such heaven-sent pizzazz on a plate.
Take a moment to inhale its pleasing aroma. Admire the golden crust and whiteness of the pork meat. With your first bite, hear satisfying crackles of the skin, followed by the lip-smacking fat layer and melt-in-your-mouth Chinese roasted pork belly. Just the thought of this pork sets my mouth water.
Finally, the to-die-for sensation when you bite into the mouthwatering pork belly meat, you may also like this Pork Ribs Recipe.. Tastes balance and blend like a happy marriage.
Americans don’t share Asians fancy for pork. It’s rather an acquired taste. Best taken in small doses.
Technique for Crispy Pork Skin
Other Asian Recipes:
1. The secret to a golden, puffy crackling is to prick lots or tiny holes in the skin (note: only the skin not the meat). But don’t worry, if unintentionally, you prick the fat under the skin or perhaps even the flesh, this may cause juices to bubble to the surface which may result in some splotches that are not 100% crisp.
2. The key to even golden crackling is not to put your pork belly dangerously near the source of heat, the farther away it is, the better. Don’t rush the baking phase. Underdone pork can be hazardous to your health.
3. And of course, the Rock Salt – the salt crust not only draws moisture to the surface for ultra crispy skin, it also ensures it is perfectly seasoned.
How to Reheat Crispy Pork Belly:
Pork belly is better as starters because it is extremely rich. Leftover, cold pork belly, is not so palatable. Feel free to reheat the lean pork meat, but first, separate it from fatty meat and crackling.
Remember, when reheated, the fat meat will take on a rubbery texture and cracklings lose their crunch. You can reheat the meat into the oven or microwave while you can put the crackling under the grill (aka broiler), or a toaster oven; the dry heat will prevent the skin from getting chewy.
Watch How to Cook the Crispy Pork Belly
The Secret to Perfect Crispy Pork BellyPrint Pin Rate
- 2.4 lbs. pork belly skin on – Get this at the Asian market
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry (I used the ShaoXing wine)
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder you can get this at the Asian store
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp white vinegar for brushing the pork’s skin before baking
For Top Coating:
- rock salt for coating
Prepare the Pork:
- Use the edge of a knife or another tool to prick lots of holes in the skin. Be cautious not to pierce into the fat or flesh.
- Turn the pork belly upside down. Rub the flesh (not skin) with Chinese cooking wine.
- Sprinkle over the cumin, fennel seeds and five spice powder. Rub all over flesh (not on skin).
- Turn right side up and place in a container. Dab skin dry with paper towels. Refrigerate uncovered for 12 hours (or overnight).
Cooking the Pork:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove pork from the fridge. Place in a large sheet of foil. Fold up sides of foil around the pork to enclose it snugly. Transfer pork to baking tray. Dab skin with paper towels. Brush skin with vinegar (this helps conduct heat evenly).
- Spread rock salt on the skin. Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove pork from the oven and transfer into work surface.
- Switch to grill/broiler on medium high. Move shelf so it is at least 12″ from the heat source.
- Fold down foil and scrape all the salt off the top and sides. Return the pork only (discard the foil) to baking tray.
- Place under grill/broiler for 20-25 minutes, rotating the tray once or until skin is golden, crispy and puffed.
- Slice into thick slices (bite sizes). Serve with ordinary mustard or your favorite dip.
Worth your Posts
The Secret to Perfect Crispy Pork Belly
If you’re a sucker of Crispy Pork Belly, then you come to the right place. With your first bite on this crackling Pork Belly, you can hear satisfying crackles of the skin