Hands up who else loves Cheese Foam Tea? I do. It is indeed a unique style of tea or coffee topped with an inch of thick foam or salty whipped cheese.
If you are an avid fan of sweet and salty, this Cheese foam tea or coffee seems like a brief respite from an immoderately saccharine Fraps or latte.
A nifty mid-week pick-me-up drink made of cheesy goodness.
Learn how to prepare this easy cream cheese in coffee or in freshly brewed tea like a pro in this Keto version drink.
I love drinking coffee or tea and I believe most of you can relate to that caffeine addiction. So, when I heard about this emergence of new fad Cheese Foam tea or coffee drink, I did imagine a piping hot cup of joe or tea topped with fondue or maybe a pile of canned squeeze cheese.
Oh boy, I was way off, this Cheese Tea or coffee is nothing like that. As a matter of fact, it's more aligned with a cheesecake or a milkshake than it does with a pizza.
Watch the video
What is it?
Cheese Tea is known as (zhī shì chá) in Mandarin, Cheese Foam Tea (or coffee) is a cold cup of your favorite tea like the Jasmine, Matcha or Oolong, etc topped with a thick layer of creamy foam of whipped cheese. Sprinkled with salt and Matcha powder ( or cacao powder if using coffee).
This phenomenal drink was originated and being sold at street stalls in Taiwan working its way through China, Singapore, Malaysia, and currently gaining its popularity in the US of A.
This thick, creamy foam is generally made from a mixture of a slightly thick, sweet, and salty whipped cream cheese, heavy cream, and milk.
The result is similar to a lightly whipped, cheesecake-flavored milkshake sitting exquisitely atop your freshly brewed tea or coffee, either hot or iced.
Tips on how to drink it
Over the last couple of years, this culinary drink has become one of the favorite menus & being served in Boba shops and has developed something of a cult following among millennials.
1 Drinking Cheese Tea takes different approaches. Each technique yields a slightly different taste. For example, you can drink the cheese foam tea as is without the need of stirring or mixing it all together. Doing this way allows your tastebud to savor the distinct flavors of tea and the cheese foam that mix smoothly together.
2 Tilt your cup to 40 degrees, which would give you a mixture of cream cheese and green tea or coffee.
3 Another trick to achieve a milk-tea flavor is to stir the cheese foam tea & the residual tea drink once most of the tea is gone.
Nonetheless, drinking your cheese tea within 15 minutes of preparation is highly recommended to relish the flavor of the rich cream cheese.
What is the flavor profile?
Cheese tea is a bit sweet and salty - for me, it's the best combo flavor on planet earth.
Sprinkling salt on top of the brew balances out the creamy whipped cheese flavors and the refreshingly tea or coffee. This drink is best characterized as a "refreshing tea /coffee milkshake" with a Macchiato-ish concept.
And the best way to taste experience the flavors as they fused collectively is to drink it like a beer. Simply lift off the lid and say "cheers"!
Making it Keto friendly
And since I started to pursue a Keto diet, I decided to create my Keto version of this Cream Cheese Tea or Coffee drink.
You can use your favorite type of tea or coffee and try to experiment with the ingredients to see what all the hype is all about. In this recipe, I eliminated the use of sweetened condensed milk and use the Swerve confectioner sugar instead to make it Keto friendly.
Indeed, Cheese Foam Tea or Coffee is the fusion of two unique textures and flavor profiles to give forth a delightful, distinct experience to those tea/coffee junkies out there.
You can also drizzle this drink using my Keto Caramel Sauce that you'll find the recipe by clicking this link here.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened at room temperature)
- ¾ cup Almond Milk (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoon Swerve confectioner sugar (add extra if you want more sweet)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder (Or Matcha tea powder for garnish)
For the Brew:
- 1 pc Green Teabag (or use your favorite tea or coffee, K-cup)
Step by step instructions
Let the cream cheese sit outside the fridge to achieve that soft room temperature texture. It's easier to mash into smaller pieces when it's soft and creamy.
Add the sugar substitute (I used Swerve Confectioner) or regular white sugar (if you're not in Keto) into the cream cheese and whisk on high using an electric mixer until the sugar dissolves.
Slowly add the almond milk in 3 batches (or regular milk if you're not in Keto) into the cream cheese mixture and continue beating until blended. Gradually add another batch of almond milk and whisk till foamy and well blended. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, add the whipping cream and whisk until it reaches a medium-peak consistency. How to check it? Just lift up the whisk attachment and the peaks should tip over a bit while holding their shape but have a softened texture.
Now, you add the cream cheese mixture into the medium-peak texture whipped cream. Mix all together until foamy and well incorporated. Sprinkle some sea salt and mix it again. Store in the fridge when not in use to keep it chill.
When ready to serve
- Now, you can start brewing your green tea or black coffee. Place in a glass cup and add some ice cubes. Scoop the chilled cheese foam on top of your favorite tea or coffee brew and sprinkle some Matcha tea powder or cacao powder on top. Enjoy!
- Make sure to thoroughly whisk the chilled cheese barter before using it to re-introduce air into the cream cheese mixture. Doing this helps the cheese foam stays afloat.
- Prepare your favorite brew as directed. for green tea, sprinkle with matcha tea powder before serving. For brewed coffee - sprinkle with cacao powder before serving.
- Store the cream cheese mixture in the fridge when not in use. The mixture will last for 3 days ( but I used mine until the 4th day and still tasted good).
- Depending on what kind of heavy cream you use, some may start to leak a bit of liquid after a while. The best thing to do is to place the mixture in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl. Doing this, any liquid will leak into the bowl underneath.
- Make sure to thoroughly whisk the chilled cheese barter before using it to re-introduce air into the cream cheese mixture. Doing this helps the cheese foam stays afloat. * But this is optional because mine remained afloat on top with no problem.
How to store cheese foam tea
This cream cheese whipped cream mixture will last about 3-4 days when being stored and sealed properly in the fridge.
Cheese Tea Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Hand Whisk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup Almond Milk unsweetened
- 3 tablespoon Swerve Confectioner Sugar (add extra if you want more sweet)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon Raw Cacao Powder (Or Matcha Tea Powder for garnish)
For the Brew:
- 1 pc Green Teabag (or use your favorite tea or coffee, K-cup)
Prepare the Cheese Foam:
- Let the cream cheese sit outside the fridge to soften the texture at room temperature. It’s easier to mash when it’s soft and creamy.
- Add the sugar substitute (I used Swerve Confectioner) or regular sugar into the cream cheese and whisk on high using an electric mixer until the sugar dissolves.
- Slowly add the almond milk in 3 batches (or regular milk if you’re not in Keto) into the cream cheese mixture and continue beating until blended. Gradually add another batch of almond milk and whisk till foamy and well blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the whipping cream and whisk until it reaches a medium-peak consistency.
- Now, you can add the cream cheese mixture into the medium-peak texture whipped cream. Mix all together until foamy and well incorporated. Sprinkle some sea salt and mix it again. Store in the fridge when not in use to keep it chill.
- Now, you can start brewing your green tea or coffee. Place in a glass cup and add some ice cubes.
- Scoop the cheese foam on top of your favorite tea or coffee brew and sprinkle some Matcha tea powder or cacao powder on top.
- Garnish your brew tea or coffee with cacao powder or Matcha tea powder on top (if you're drinking tea).
Watch the Video:
Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.
Servings: Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only.
The cream cheese topping will last in the fridge for approx 3 days, but based on my experience, mine was still useable after 4 to 5 days. Discard the cream if it starts to smell funky.
Yay!! I finally made this.. and its so yummy and addicting.. How long does this cream cheese topping last in the fridge?
Trisha T says
I would love to try this recipe on my coffee brew.. this looks so yummy as I love cream cheese.
I'm so impressed how can you bring your regular cup of joe to the next level. This is absolutely awesome... I cant wait to try this later once I grabbed all the ingredients.
I just found my new favorite drink, it makes me feel like I'm in Korea.. cant wait to try this!!
This is a lovely drink.. cant get enough of it.. just so addicting like the brown sugar boba drink. Thanks for the recipe.
I'm so addicted to this drink!! Its so good, this is my go-to pick me up every morning... thanks for the recipe..
Miss Crystal says
This is my go-to cheese tea drink hands down!! follow the ingredients to a T and its the best.. Im so addicted to my coffee brew now.
You can choose to add ice cubes or you can drink it warm. I drink both.
Jennifer King says
Can't wait to try! It will be a nice switch from my usual keto breakfast coffee! It says to add ice cubes to your brewed coffee or tea, so is this a cold drink? Or is the coffee supposed to be warm still? Thanks!
Cheese tea is one of my favorite drinks..thank you for sharing the recipe. I love that I can make this in Keto version..
Jill A. says
This drink looks interesting. I never tried it yet but I'm so addicted to the Tiger brown sugar boba.I saw this from Instagram and so excited to create my own at home.
Super excited to try this drink today after gathering all the ingredients.. it looks so tempting.. I love cream cheese and putting this on my brew is quite interesting.
Cant wait to try this drink.. it looks tempting to have a creamy cheese foam on your brew... love the pics..
OMG!! I finally found the right recipe for Keto diet... this is a lifesaver as I'm craving for this drink ever since I tried it. You should try this at home guys, its so, so good.. promise!
I so love your recipe. I used regular confectioner sugar instead since I'm not in Keto diet. I've been craving for this drink the whole time and i use coffee brew. AWESOME!!!
Ellen Teng says
So glad to finally made this at home, I so love it! I don’t need to go drive in the Chinese place to get my fix... I can make it at home.. Yes! This is absolutely my new favorite Aside from boba.