In the summer, I switch as much of my cooking from the oven to a slow cooker, microwave or use no-cook dishes.
It makes a much more refreshing meal for a searing hot day. That’s why I decided to change from my usual bake carnitas recipe to one that worked using a slow cooker or also known as burrito bowl crock pot.
It takes a lot longer, but the meat is so good, I’m considering making it this way all the time. I’ve combined the refreshing flavor of a taco salad with the yummy carnitas topping and some cilantro rice with lime juice.
To make it even more special, I made my burrito bowls. They’re easy, or I wouldn’t have done it.
I had to start the slow cooker ahead of time since it takes at least 10 hours to cook the pork to perfection.
Besides the normal ingredients, such as chili powder, cayenne, garlic, and onion, I added a can of Mexican beer, chopped chilis and orange juice to give it a bit more flavor.
It’s not mandatory, in fact, I’ve made carnitas with far fewer ingredients when I wasn’t well prepared, just using garlic cloves, onions and seasoning salt with a little bit of liquid smoke for extra flavor. It’s all good.
That’s what’s great about this dish; you can make it your own with a variety of seasoning.
How to Build a Crock Pot Burrito Bowl:
1. As for the burrito bowl, it’s so easy you’ll wonder why you ever bought them in a store. You can even spice it when you make it yourself, which adds extra flavor to the dish.
2. I microwave the burrito to soften it, then spray the top with cooking spray and sprinkle with the seasoning if I use them. I invert a safe oven bowl and press the burrito shell onto it to create the bowl.
It only takes 7 – 10 minutes to crisp them up in a preheated 350-degree oven.
What cut of pork is used for carnitas?
Carnitas are the Mexican version of pulled pork. Pork shoulder (also known as pork butt) is normally use for long, slow cooking methods such as roasting, stewing, and braising.
This cut is higher in fat content, that helps the meat stay super tender and juicy while it’s cooked.
Crockpot Burrito Bowl RecipePrint Pin Rate
Carnitas (you can find my OTHER RECIPE HERE)
- 5-6 pounds pork shoulder roast or butt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 12 ounce mexican beer
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 large or 2 small chipotle chiles in adobo minced
For the Lime Rice:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 6-8 inch whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- a pinch of salt
Pico De Gallo:
- 2 cups tom tom or cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 avocado halved, pitted, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- Combine dry seasonings: (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder) together in a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Rub the pork all over with a about 1/3 of the dry seasonings. Once hot, add pork and sear on all sides until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side). Add pork to the crockpot and sprinkle with remaining seasonings all over.
- Pour in beer, orange juice, lime juice and chipotle chilies, then cook on low for 10-12 hours. Check once or twice if possible.
- Before serving, use forks or kitchen tongs to shred pork in the crock pot. Mix to combine with the remaining liquid in the crockpot.
- Keep warm until ready to use.
For the Tortilla Bowl:
- Pre-heat the oven 350 degrees. Mix the ingredients for the Tortilla bowl and rub the seasoning in the one side. Arrange the tortilla in an upside down bowl (you can tie them up using the butchers twine to hold the mold.)
- Place in the oven and bake for 7 minutes or until the Tortillas turn crispy. Set aside.
For the Lime Rice:
- Just mix all the ingredients and set aside.
Pica De Gallo:
- Just mix all the ingredients and serve as a garnish when arranging the carnitas over the Lime rice.