Super easy bite-sized crispy, baked Shrimp Toast topped with creamiest, cheesiest shrimp spread topping. Let these finger foods a life of your party.
Whenever I think of delicious seafood, I always think of shrimp. Sometimes, just steaming or boiling shrimps and dipping them in butter is not enough to satisfy my shrimp cravings.
I tend to look for a more satisfying way to have shrimp. One way to do so is to have a Vietnamese dish called “banh mi quet tom”.
It may be non-traditional, but it hits the spot. I tried this once at a Vietnamese restaurant and it was heaven.
By the time I had shrimp cravings again, I didn’t feel like driving for an hour just to satisfy it. That was when I created this shrimp toast recipe.
The first time I made my shrimp toast, the grocery store didn’t have any baguettes, so I just bought a loaf of ciabatta bread. I added fresh basil to the rest of the ingredients because it imparts a delicious aroma.
If you find any crusty bread, it will do. For baguettes, you can slice them vertically and then divide each slice horizontally. For the ciabatta, cut it horizontally, in half.
Whatever bread you choose, make sure you cut each slice under an inch in thickness.
In my opinion, the sour cream and the tangy mayonnaise are just right to complement the shrimps. But I didn’t go overboard with cheese into my spread because the strong flavors of the cheese would overwhelm the sweet flavor of the shrimps.
If you prefer cheese, feel free to sprinkle some on top before you bake the shrimp toast slices.
You are in charge of the flavors you incorporate into the spread. Stick with the traditional Vietnamese or Asian spices especially if this reminds you of your first shrimp toast.
If you want to veer away from the conventional flavors, perhaps you could make the shrimp spread a bit lively. Add some Parmesan, sour cream, Cajun seasoning, thyme, mozzarella, oregano, green onion, and parsley. You could even make it as spicy as you want.
Baked Shrimp Toast - a Perfect Appetizer:
This shrimp toast recipe is a tasty appetizer. If ever you are planning an intimate dinner or a spring barbecue party in your backyard, this recipe can keep everyone’s taste buds going.
It is always a dilemma for me when I know I’ll be entertaining guests. The dilemma worsens when I know I will have some guests for the first time.
First impressions last, after all. This shrimp toast recipe can save your opening menu, especially when you’re on a budget.
1. If you want to use cheese, use one with a mild flavor that could complement the shrimp well. Strong cheeses such as blue cheese could easily cover up the sweetness of the shrimp and take over the spread itself.
2. This recipe yields a spread enough for about 10 to 15 baguette slices, depending on the size of each slice. It can also be enough for half of a 6-inch by 8-inch ciabatta bread.
Baked Shrimp ToastPrint Pin Rate
- 8 pcs shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt and ground black pepper to taste
For Shrimp Spread:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 French baguette sliced to 12 pieces
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley *optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat baking sheet with oil or spray it with non-stick oil.
- Place shrimp in a baking sheet. Drizzle some olive oil and minced garlic; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place into the oven and bake just until pink, about 6 minutes.
- Let the shrimp cool down before slicing into bite-sized.
For Shrimp Spread:
- In a bowl, add mayonnaise, sour cream, parmesan and Mozzarella cheese.
- Add the onion powder, oregano and thyme. Add the diced pieces of shrimp and mix well.
- Cut the baguette into your desired size or thickness, and top with the shrimp spread.
- Place and arrange each slices onto the oil-sprayed baking sheet. Sprinkle with cajun seasoning. Place into oven and bake for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese have melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.