Cinnamon Roll French Toast – If your family is like mine, every once in a while we have breakfast for supper, such as omelets or a scramble.
However, even though French toast is often reserved for breakfast, this isn’t a meal but a decadent dessert that you can also use to start your day or be the main attraction at a brunch.
In fact, it is an easy-to-make dish for a shower or just a family get-together that will have everyone, regardless of age, coming back for more.
Since simple is always the goal in my kitchen, these are the perfect dish. In case you’re not familiar with the acronym KISS, it stands for “keep it simple, stupid” and was part of my training in my previous life.
If you’ve never had Nutella, it’s a combination hazelnut-chocolate spread with the consistency of peanut butter. You can try substituting a variety of different ingredients for the Nutella, such as cream cheese, but the nutty chocolaty goodness of the Nutella enhances the flavor of the strawberries.
If you want to get a bit fancy, you can try this Shibuya Honey Toast recipe that will blow your mind. It’s a delightful way to make a simple dessert far more elegant. It’s also very yummy and that’s extremely important too.
There are two keys to making this recipe and both are easy.
The first is to cut the edges off the bread and roll it flat with a rolling pin.
The second is to spread the bread with the Nutella, adding the strawberries (or any of your favorite fruits) and rolling it before you dip it in the egg/milk mixture and cook it.
The Nutella seals the roll up so there’s no need for toothpicks while you cook. When you’re finished, roll it in the cinnamon sugar mixture for the final step.
The entire process takes only about ten minutes but the finished product looks like it took you hours and tastes so divine everyone will want more.
You can make the roll ups the night before, but don’t dip them in egg mixture until you’re ready to cook and serve the roll ups.
It takes about four minutes to cook on each side when the roll ups are at room temperature and a job you can do yourself at a party or assign to a helper.
Strawberry Nutella Cinnamon Roll French Toast
- 6 slices fresh white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- ½ cup strawberries, diced
- 4½ tbsp Nutella
- ¼ cup caster sugar (powder sugar)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tbsp milk (full cream or low fat)
- Pinch of salt
- Combine egg mixture in a bowl with a flat base large enough to lie the roll up in. Whisk to combine.
- Spread sugar out in a small dish.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the bread flat. This makes them easier to roll up (and stay rolled up).
- Spread each piece of bread with around ¾ tbsp of Nutella.
- Sprinkle strawberries along the bottom of each piece of bread.
- Roll up bread. The Nutella will keep it sealed.
- Melt butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Roll each roll up in the Egg Mixture, shake off excess then place in the pan. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Cook for around 4 minutes until each side is golden, rotating every 1 minute or so.
- Remove from pan and immediately place in the sugar. Roll to coat in sugar, then remove. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Serve immediately.